Nerd culture is a vibrant tapestry of events, releases, and milestones that have shaped the entertainment landscape. From iconic movies to groundbreaking games and significant literary contributions, this article takes a trip down memory lane to explore the notable nerd culture events that occurred on January 16th in history. Let’s celebrate these cherished moments that have left an indelible mark on the hearts of fans around the world.
VOYAGER | 1995
In 1995, Star Trek: Voyager premiered on UPN. Voyager follows the adventures of the USS Voyager and its crew as they navigate the challenges of being stranded in the Delta Quadrant, 70,000 light-years from Earth.
- Geneviève Bujold was originally cast as Captain Janeway, the first female Captain in the franchise. However, she quit after only two days of shooting the pilot episode. The role ultimately went to Kate Mulgrew.
- Robert Beltran, who played the Maquis rebel-turned-Starfleet first officer Chakotay, disliked the show so much he repeatedly tried to get fired.
- Tim Russ, who played Lieutenant Commander Tuvok, had appeared three times in other Star Trek properties before being cast in Voyager.
- The holographic Doctor, played by Robert Picardo, got the part after ad-libbing the line “I’m a doctor, not a light bulb” during his audition.
STREAMING ON NETFLIX | 2007
In 2007, Netflix launched its streaming service after about 8 years of only offering DVD rentals by mail. Netflix began offering unlimited access to online movies and TV shows for a monthly fee, which was a novel idea at the time.
- Netflix is the largest contributor of internet traffic in North America, accounting for about 37% of peak-time downstream traffic.
- Netflix has over 70,000 “secret codes” that you can use to access hidden categories of movies and shows. For example, you can type 10702 to find spy thrillers, or 67673 to find Disney musicals.
- Netflix gave a lifetime subscription to subscriber number 500,000, who was invited to a company meeting and given the special gift.
BLACK LIGHTNING | 2018
In 2018, Black Lightning premiered on the CW. The series follows Jefferson Pierce, a high school principal and former superhero who retired from his vigilante career as Black Lightning nine years ago. However, he is forced to return to his life of crime-fighting when the rise of a local gang called The 100 threatens his family and community.
- Black Lightning’s archenemy is Tobias Whale, a crime boss and former politician who has a personal vendetta against him. Tobias Whale is an albino African-American who suffers from a rare condition that makes him extremely sensitive to light.
- Black Lightning’s neighborhood is different in the show and the comics. In the comics, he lives in Suicide Slum, a part of Metropolis. In the show, he lives in Freedland, a fictional city.
- Black Lightning originally had no innate powers, but used a suit that could generate electricity. He later absorbed the suit’s powers and became able to control electricity by himself.