Raising children is one of the greatest joys a person can experience. It is also one of the biggest struggles and responsibilities, as no parent is ever truly ready for what they are about to face. And while this Resource List won’t solve that, we hope it will help you feel a little bit more prepared.
Articles on Parenting | You Don’t Have to Do This Alone
- Bluey and the Importance of Rejection-Free Playtime by Ryan Guerra | Not shutting the door on our children’s desires and creativity.
- Help for Harried Parents of Gamers in Taming Gaming by Elliot Iannello | How harnessing the agency of play creates strong relationship with your kids.
- Parenting and Protection in “The Passenger” by Lisa Eldred | A reflection on parenting from a Season 2 episode of The Mandalorian.
- Reflections on the Generation Impact of Blue’s Clues by Stephanie Campoverde, Rachel Knight, Devin Valdivia & Joey Thurmond | How we grew up with Blue’s Clues and what that taught us about life and parenting.
- Luca and the Wisdom of Children by Andrew Crawford | Rediscovering the wisdom in childlike innocence and wonder.
- Challenging and Changing Cringe Culture by Joey Thurmond | Help younger nerds escape a mindset of second-hand embarrassment and judgment.
- Fighting for Family in Hazelight Studios’ It Takes Two by Aki | Marriage and parenting requires both parents to do their part.
- Church is for the Nerds by Nathan Webb | Though not solely about parenting, this is a good article for understanding nerdy kids.
- Saving What We Love: An Argument for Kylo Ren’s Redemption by Brittany Lofland | A modern day prodigal son.
- Looking Back at the Black Hole: Reflections on the Fortnite Publicity Stunt by Ryan Eighmey, Joey Thurmond & Zach Carpenter | Helping our kids see the bigger picture around life and gaming.
- The Power of Neighborliness: Why Joker Needs Fred Rogers by Elliott Iannello | An article surrounding two different subway rides, and the influences of family and neighbors.
- What is a Blerd? | Part 1 by Angele Joubert-Johnson | Part 2 by Matt Williams | Growing up as a black nerd.
- Superheroes are Not Enough: An Interview with Dr. Rachel Kowert on Pragmatic Princess by Drew Dixon | The importance of teaching our children self-sufficiency.
- Finding the Gospel in Nerd Culture by Matt Civico and Allison Alexander | Nerd culture is not an exit ramp from Christianity.
- The Price of Love in the How to Train Your Dragon Trilogy by Joey Thurmond | The lessons and love we leave behind.
- The Ties That Bind in Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove by Kevin Ireland | The powerful memories that come from co-op gaming with your kids.
- Three Angry Fathers: God of War Helped Me Make Sense of an Angry God by Ayk Iano | Understanding Anger – Ours and God’s.
- Our Minds Haunt Us in The Haunting of Hill House by Joshua Morris | Being aware of mental health issues within your family.
- Playing God of War and Fighting to Love My Father by Anonymous | The father-son relationship examined through the lens of God of War.
- God of War: Dad of Boy by Ryan Eighmey | What God of War shows me about parenting.
Tools for Parents | Ideas and Answers
- What is Steam? by Rachel Knight | We explain the most popular online hub for PC gaming.
- Maybe You Aren’t Always the Hero: A Defense of Unsettling Games by Richard Clark | The greatest games are less about forgetting the truth about ourselves and more about facing it.
- Keeping the Gadgets Fun: 3 Tips to Keep Your Kids Safe Online by Lisa Eldred | How to protect your children in online gaming.
- A Christian Defense of Dungeons & Dragons by Phil Tallon | Breaking the generational fear of the “Satanic Panic” surrounding D&D.
- When Video Games Become Something More by Eric “Flapjack” Ashley | How video games can be much more of an “important tool” and less of a “frivolous time-suck.”
- Why Do Comic Books Matter? by Hector Miray | Making a case for letting your kids read comics.
- Why Do Board Games Matter? by Mike Perna | Making a case for letting your kids play tabletop games.
- Help! My Child Games Too Much! by Daniel Burton | Is my child addicted to gaming? How can I help my child when gaming is affecting grades?
- Can We Talk about Video Game Addiction without Judgment, Please? by Drew Dixon | A thorough look at video game addiction and overuse.
- Are You Wrong about Video Game Violence? by Kerry Shawgo | A serious look at the history of comparing real-world tragedy to video game violence.
- Stop Shaming Fortnite Kids by Zach Carpenter | Why we should do better to understand our children’s love of Fortnite (or whatever the new hotness is right now), instead of fighting them over it.
- Dear Fortnite Mom by Zach Carpenter | A response to a Mom looking for answers from the creators of Fortnite.
- 4 Keys to Winning the Video Game Battle with Your Kids by Andy Robertson | A parent’s guide to understanding video games and your children’s love of them.
Recommendations and Reviews for Parents | What Should We Play and Watch?
- Stuck at Home with Kids? This Frustration Game Might Make You a Better Parent by Drew Dixon | A parent’s review of Overcooked during the pandemic.
- What Should Parents Know about Call of Duty: Black Ops 4? by Andy Robertson | A warning about more violent first person shooters and a list of alternatives for younger children.
- You Can Enjoy Soul; It Is Not Heresy by Drew Dixon | Calming fears parents had about the pandemic-era Pixar film.
- 12 Family-Friendly Films to Broaden Your Horizons by Chris Fogle | Family movie night recommendations, both well-known and hidden gems.
- Bringing Your Family to a Knife Fight: How Family Matters in Children of Morta by Cameron Franklin | Creating a family of heroes.
- Leaning on Each Other: Shazam! by Drew Hood | When a Superhero Movie is less about saving humanity and more about the power of family.
- Watch These Kids Play Animal Upon Animal by Drew Dixon | A quick review of a simple tabletop game.
- 8 Better Games for Kids Than Fortnite by Drew Dixon, Andy Robertson, Casey Flynt, Kevin Schut, Jonathan Campoverde, Ryan Eighmey, Tieranie Albright & Lasse Lund | Though kids might be Fortnite-forward, help your children expand their horizons with these amazing games.
- Build Your Jurassic Dream Team with Dino Dunk! by Matt Warmbier | A quick review of a simple tabletop game.
Podcasts | Different Audio Aspects of Family & Parenting
- Humans of Gaming 188: Andy Robertson of “Taming Gaming” | Chris & Drew ask about encouraging the active participation of parents and their children in the video game universe.
- Humans of Gaming 187: Mono Davis of “Color Field” and “Mansplaining” | Chris & Drew ask about being a father and a board game designer.
- Humans of Gaming 183: Sen-Foong Lim of “Kingdom Rush” on Parents, Psychology, and Professorship | Chris & Drew ask about examining the tension between parents and their children.
- Humans of Gaming 173: Astrid Refstrup on Parenting and Crunch Culture | Chris & Drew ask about the worries and hopes for children and what inspires perseverance.
- Humans of Gaming 131: Rachel Kowert, PhD on Stereotypes and Parenting | Chris & Drew interview the author of “A Parent’s Guide to Video Games”.
- Humans of Gaming 129: Jamie Madigan on Parenting and Relationships in Gaming | Chris & Drew ask about how to be a parent that engages.
- Humans of Gaming 126: Shane Neville of Bunker Punks on Compulsion Loops and Parenting | Chris & Drew ask about the need for parenting involvement in gaming.
- Church Nerds 35: New Parent+ | Bubba & Anna discuss the concept of “New Game+” – the ability to replay a game with new elements added to keep it fresh – applied to parenting!
- Church Nerds 29: Screen Time Boundaries | Bubba & Anna discuss a full examination on the need for time limits on screen time for your children.
- Church Nerds 11: Battling Parental Lethargy | Bubba & Anna discuss ideas on how to make the most of your time with your kiddos.
- Back Row Morning Show 505 – 508: Raising Nerdy Kids | Radio Matt & Mo discuss connecting to our kids through nerdy fandoms, how it differs from when we were kids, and how parents need to have one hand on the wheel in a world that is only growing more nerdy. (Combined podcast with 4 episodes.)
- Back Row Morning Show 440 – 443: Encanto & The Cracks in the Family Madrigal | Back Row Buds Reviews | Isabella & Luisa | Julietta, Pepa & Bruno | Abuela & Maribel | Radio Matt & Mo examine each main character from Encanto and examine the breakdown and building back up of kids, parents, and grandparents.
- Back Row Morning Show 347: Caught in 4K – The Latest Cringey TikTok Trend | Radio Matt & Mo discuss how the walls between this generation and porn are breaking down and why this is a major battle worth fighting.
- Back Row Morning Show 331: The Bumbling TV Dad Trope | Radio Matt & Mo discuss from the 90’s to now, we saw the TV Dad transition from heart-warming father to bumbling man-child.
- Back Row Morning Show 308: The Parent Struggle in 2020 | Radio Matt & Mo discuss parenting in the pandemic. Take a trip back in time and become more thankful for today!
- LTN Book Club 5: The Books of Our Childhood | The Book Club share where the books of their childhoods have taken them as adults.
Videos | Family & Parenting in 4K (well, at least 720p)
- LTNcon 2022 Keynote: Why Nerds Make the Best Friends with Jaclyn Parrish | The first keynote of LTNcon 2022, investing in the nerdiness of those close to us.
- LTNcon 2022 Keynote: Why Geeking Out is Essential to Life with Jaclyn Parrish | The second keynote of LTNcon 2022, why celebrating nerdiness is essential.
- My Little Scythe Interview with Hoby Chou + GenCon 2018 | An interview with the creator of the game adaptation he made along with his daughter.
- Gen Con Day 4: Ice Cool | Matt Warmbier plays Ice Cool with his children.
- Gen Con Day 4: Beasts of Balance | Bubba & Anna play Beast of Balance with their children.
- Church Nerds: Kind of a Downer | Bubba & Anna’s kids are sickies.
- Back Row Morning Show: Raising Nerdy Kids | Connecting to our kids through nerdy fandoms, how it differs from when we were kids, and how parents need to have one hand on the wheel in a world that is only growing more nerdy.
- Back Row Morning Show: Turning Red & The Christian Ban-Wagon | Taking a look at this movie about puberty and the weird Christian outcry against it.
- Tuesday Night Sus: The Next Generation | Radio Matt welcomes his son to the weekly Among Us game.
- Beard Bros with Matt & Bubba in the Morning: Game Schooling | Games designed to help you learn something.
- Back Row Morning Show: Encanto & the Cracks of the Family Madrigal | Radio Matt & Mo examine each main character from Encanto and examine the breakdown and building back up of kids, parents, and grandparents.
- Back Row Special Music: “What Did the Pastor Say?” (Parody of “The Fox”) by White Lantern | A funny Christian parody focusing on a kid misbehaving in church.
Outside Resources | Equip Yo Self
- Know Thy Gamer: A Parent’s Guide to Video Games by Drew Dixon | A book that shows you why no one is better equipped to help your child navigate the world of video games than you are as their parent.
- YouTube Channel: FamilyGamerTV | Europe’s largest family gaming channel, known for insider access on toys to life games, in-depth interviews and strong parental advice.
- Taming Gaming | The Family Gaming Database. Video Games & Table Top Games – hand picked, deeply researched and tested with real families.
- Common Sense Media | In-depth reviews of movies, TV shows, and video games to help families navigate what is appropriate for their families.
- Plugged In | In-depth reviews of movies, TV shows, music, books, and video games from a Christian perspective.
- A Parent’s Guide to Video Games by Dr. Rachel Kowert | The essential guide to understanding how video games impact your child’s physical, social, and psychological well-being.
- FamliSafe | A reliable parental control app to safeguard against pornography, phone addiction, and other online threats.
This resource was compiled by Rachel Knight and Radio Matt. Last Updated February 8, 2023.
Love what you just read? Get more LTN!
Are you a writer interested in joining our team? Learn how by visiting https://lovethynerd.com/write-for-ltn/.