One of the universal struggles in life is that, at some point, we will lose people we love. Sometimes they just exit our lives, sometimes they pass from this Earth. No matter when it happens, it is never easy, and it is often a struggle to move on from. We have collected a series of articles and media that deals with grief and loss from different angles. Hopefully these can help you work through the tough times.
Mental Health | For the Really Serious Stuff
- Mental Health, Addiction, Crisis & Domestic Violence Resources | If you are struggling and in need of help, this is the place to start.
Articles | Grief & Loss
- Saying Goodbye in GRIS by David Jamison | Cherishing the time you shared when a friendship comes to a close.
- Haunted by the Living and Dead in Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode 3 by Colby Whittaker | Finding healing by truly facing what came before.
- Grappling with Darkness in Diablo II by Elliott Iannello | The danger of running from the reality of loss.
- Trusting the Force and Each Other in Star Wars: The Rising Storm by Jonathan Reedy | Being a master of our emotions, not a slave.
- Sorrowful Yet Always Rejoicing: A Reflection on One Piece‘s Ebisu Town by Harrison Dulin | Stop pretending everything is okay.
- Cultivating a Legacy in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Episode 1 by Matt Williams | Living up to a legacy.
- Forgiveness & Repentance in Final Fantasy XIII by Caitlin Eha | Dealing with guilt and grief.
- The Cost of War in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing by Andrew Crawford | Finding hope in times of war.
- Skywalker Saga Reflections – Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith by Joey Thurmond | Empathy for those in their darkest moments.
- Skywalker Saga Reflections – Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back by Matt Civico | Longing, love and loss.
- 10 Games That Handle Death Well by LTN Writers | When in-game death is treated with truth beyond missing a jump.
- There is Life After This by Madeline Turnipseed | You are loved and worth fighting for.
- Finding Forgiveness in Silent Hill 2 by Daniel Motley | Fighting grief and regret.
- Finding the Gospel in Nerd Culture: Hope Beyond the Grave by Allison Alexander & Matt Civico | A reflection from 2 Samuel 1 and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.
- The Weight of Worth: Body Issues and Dignity in Endgame by Lisa Eldred | Running from grief into self-destruction.
- The Endgame of Thor – A Marvel Character Study by Mike T. Jorgensen | A look at a character’s journey through many things, including grief and loss.
- The Price of Love in the How to Train Your Dragon Trilogy by Joey Thurmond | Love comes with loss.
- The Ties That Bind in ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove by Kevin Ireland | Co-opting with our fathers.
- Red Dead Redemption 2’s Arthur Morgan is My Favorite Saint by C.T. Casberg | Letting hope and love thaw a frozen heart.
- Peace and Rakuen by Jon Campoverde | Finding peace in the midst of holiday darkness.
- Our Minds Haunt Us in The Haunting of Hill House by Joshua Morris | Exposing the monsters in us – grief, suicide, and mental illness.
- Tomb Raider Changed My Life by Stephanie Skiles | Using grief to fuel growth.
- Playing God of War and Fighting to Love My Father by Anonymous | We must be better.
- Graceful Contradictions in That Dragon, Cancer by J. Stephen Addcox | How can fun exist in a world that a loved one no longer does?
- Discovering Gifts Through Loss by Christopher Bowden | Remembering Brian “Big Mac” McCarthy of Indie Boards & Cards
- Parenting and Protection in “The Passenger” by Lisa Eldred | A reflection from season 2 of The Mandalorian.
- Hope for the Hurting in Final Fantasy VII Remake by Al Martens | Desperate situations.
- Suffering and Growth: Wanda Maximoff and the MCU by John Tuttle | Loss, guilt, heartache and hope.
- Death Sucks but Game of Thrones Doesn’t by Kevin Little | Search for closure.
- The Humanity of Superhumans in Tom King’s Mister Miracle by Drew Hood | Facing our pasts to forge our future.
- Contemplating Brokenness in McGillicuddy and Murder’s Pawn Shop by Gillian Fox | Acceptance of loss.
- Stan Lee, Peter Parker, and Finding Purpose in Pain by Kerry Shawgo | Remembering Stan Lee and his legacy.
- Justice and Vengeance in Destiny 2: Forsaken by Elliott Iannello | The nature of tragedy.
- Finding Family in Fandom by Suzanne Toon | Surround yourself with like-minded support.
Series | Reflections on WandaVision
The MCU took on the destructive nature of unchecked grief and loss, and our writers took a look at the story one episode at a time.
- Controlling the Uncontrollables in WandaVision Episode 1 by Adam Clodfelter
- The Cost of Conformity in WandaVision Episode 2 by Jonathan Reedy
- Trust Issues in WandaVision Episode 3 by Jonathan Reedy
- How to Lose Friends and Manipulate People in WandaVision Episode 4 by Chris Fogle
- Compassion and Control in WandaVision Episode 5 by Brittany Lofland
- The Weight of Lies in WandaVision Episode 6 by Chris Mikesell
- The Wages of Sin in WandaVision Episode 7 by Adam Clodfelter
- Love and Scars in WandaVision Episode 8 by Colby Whittaker
- Finding Hope in Grief in the WandaVision Finale by Adam Clodfelter
Podcasts & Shorts | Audio Co-Op
- Back Row Morning Show 533-535: Loss, Grief & Legacy | Those We’ve Lost | Growing In Our Grief | Leaving a Legacy | Radio Matt & Mo remember those that they have lost, including several during the run of their show. they also look at how to grieve in a healthy way and how to leave a lasting legacy.
- Back Row Morning Show 480: The 3 Spider-Men: A Trilogy of Grief | Radio Matt & Mo welcome a couple Back Row Buds to the show as they use Spider-Man: No Way Home as a launching point to discuss the power of grief over your mental health.
- Back Row Morning Show 333: Remembering Carman | Radio Matt & Mo celebrate the life and career of Christian music pioneer Carman after he passed away.
- Church Nerds 74: More Than Thoughts and Prayers | Bubba & Anna take a look at the tragedy, divisiveness, and pain the world is experiencing right now and what we can do.
- Church Nerds 44: Good Grief | Bubba & Anna tackle a heavy topic – grief, in all areas of our lives.
- The MoMent: Don’t Get Stuck | Megan shares about how strong emotions (not just anger) for Christians should be normal.
Videos | We’re With You
- Back Row Morning Show: Loss, Grief & Legacy | Radio Matt & Mo remember those that they have lost, including several during the run of their show. they also look at how to grieve in a healthy way and how to leave a lasting legacy.
- Back Row Morning Show: Moon Knight, the MCU & Mental Health | Radio Matt & Mo welcome a couple Back Row Buds to the show as they use Spider-Man: No Way Home as a launching point to discuss the power of grief over your mental health. They also examine other mental health aspects based on other superhero media.
The above list of resources is not a substitute for professional advice or counseling. We at Love Thy Nerd want to point you towards resources that can help you and your loved ones, but we do not endorse any particular site, treatment, therapy, or resource.
This resource was compiled by Rachel Knight and Radio Matt. Last Updated April 7, 2023.
Love what you just read? Get more LTN!
Are you a writer interested in joining our team? Learn how by visiting https://lovethynerd.com/write-for-ltn/.