2022 was a great year for video games, with many anticipated titles finally releasing and some surprising gems emerging. Whether you are looking for action, adventure, horror, simulation or anything in between, there is a game for you on this list. So, while you are waiting for Diablo IV to come out, here are the top 10 video games of 2022 that you should already be playing!
Stray is a unique game that lets you play as a cat in a cyberpunk city full of robots. You have to explore the neon-lit streets, solve puzzles, interact with other animals and humans, and uncover the secrets of your past. Stray is a charming and immersive game that will make you feel like a feline adventurer.
Available on: PS5 / PS4 / PC
- The Game Awards: Best Independent Game / Best Debut Indie Game
- Golden Joystick Awards: PlayStation Game of the Year
- Steam Awards: Most Innovative Gameplay
9. Ghostwire: Tokyo
Ghostwire: Tokyo is a supernatural action game from the creators of The Evil Within. You have to fight against mysterious spirits that have invaded Tokyo using your psychic abilities and martial arts skills. Ghostwire: Tokyo combines horror and humor in a stylish and fast-paced game that will keep you on your toes.
Available on: PS5 / PC
- Japan Game Awards: 2022 Award of Excellence
8. Cult of the Lamb
Cult of the Lamb is a darkly comedic game that puts you in charge of your own cult of adorable animals. You have to build your base, recruit followers, perform rituals, and fend off enemies while trying to maintain your sanity and reputation. Cult of the Lamb is a quirky and twisted game that will make you laugh and cringe at the same time.
Available on: SWITCH / PS5 / PS4 / XBOX ONE / XBOX X / XBOX S / PC / MAC
- Australian Game Developer Awards: Game of the Year / Excellence in Music / Excellence in Art / Excellence in Gameplay
- Golden Joystick Awards: Best Indie Game
7. Horizon Forbidden West
Horizon Forbidden West is the sequel to the critically acclaimed Horizon Zero Dawn. You reprise your role as Aloy, a hunter who travels across a post-apocalyptic world full of robotic creatures. You have to face new threats, discover new lands, meet new allies and enemies, and uncover more secrets about your past and destiny. Horizon Forbidden West is an epic and breathtaking game that will immerse you in its rich and beautiful world.
Available on: PS4 / PS5
- Golden Joystick Awards: Best Storytelling
6. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Kirby and the Forgotten Land is a 3D platformer that takes Kirby to an abandoned urban setting full of surprises. You can use Kirby’s signature ability to inhale enemies and copy their powers, as well as team up with other Kirbys for co-op gameplay. Kirby and the Forgotten Land is a colorful and fun game that will appeal to fans of all ages.
Available on: SWITCH
- Japan Games Awards: Award of Excellence
- The Game Awards: Best Family Game
- New York Game Awards: Central Park Children’s Zoo Award for Best Kids’ Game
5. Splatoon 3
Splatoon 3 is the third installment in the popular series of multiplayer shooters where you use ink instead of bullets. You can customize your character, weapons, gear, hairstyles, pets, etc., as well as participate in various modes such as turf war, ranked battles, salmon run, and more. Splatoon 3 also introduces new features such as customizable maps, vehicles, and abilities. Splatoon 3 is a vibrant and addictive game that will keep you hooked for hours.
Available on: SWITCH
- The Game Awards: Best Multiplayer Game
4. Gran Turismo 7
Gran Turismo 7 is the latest entry in the legendary racing simulation series. You can drive over 400 cars from different manufacturers, races, and eras, as well as customize them to your liking. You can also compete in various modes such as campaign, arcade, sport, and online. Gran Turismo 7 also boasts realistic graphics, physics, sound, and weather effects. Gran Turismo 7 is the ultimate racing game for car enthusiasts.
Available on: PS4 / PS5
- The Game Awards: Best Sports/Racing Game
- 26th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards: Racing Game of the Year
3. God of War Ragnarök
God of War Ragnarök is the sequel to the critically acclaimed God of War (2018), which reimagined the iconic series in a Norse mythology setting. You continue your journey as Kratos, a former Greek god who tries to protect his son Atreus from the wrath of Odin and other gods. God of War Ragnarök is a stunning and thrilling game that delivers an emotional and satisfying conclusion to Kratos’ saga.
Available on: PS4 / PS5
- Golden Joystick Awards: Most Wanted Game (2020)
- 20th Game Audio Network Guild Awards: Best Game Trailer Audio
- 13th Hollywood Music in Media Awards: Original Song – Video Game (“Blood Upon The Snow”)
- Titanium Awards: Game of the Year / Best Narrative Design
- The Game Awards: Best Narrative / Best Score and Music (Bear McCreary) / Best Audio Design / Best Performance (Christopher Judge) / Best Action/Adventure Game / Innovation in Accessibility
- New York Game Awards: Herman Melville Award for Best Writing in a Game
- 26th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards: Adventure Game of the Year / Outstanding Achievement in Story / Outstanding Achievement in Audio Design / Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition / Outstanding Achievement in Character (Kratos) / Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction / Outstanding Achievement in Animation
Immortality is a groundbreaking game that lets you play as an actress who starred in three lost films from different decades. You have to piece together her story by watching clips from the films, interacting with other characters, and making choices that affect the outcome. Immortality is a cinematic and innovative game that blurs the line between reality and fiction.
Available on: XBOX X / XBOX S / PC / MAC / ANDROID / iOS
- Golden Joystick Awards: Best Performer (Manon Gage)
- New York Game Awards: Great Whie Way Award for Best Acting in a Game (Manon Gage)
1. Elden Ring
Elden Ring is a highly anticipated game from the creators of Dark Souls and Bloodborne, in collaboration with George R.R. Martin, the author of A Song of Ice and Fire. You explore a vast and dynamic open world full of secrets, dangers, and wonders. You can customize your character, weapons, skills, and magic, as well as ride on horseback and summon spirits to aid you in combat. Elden Ring is a challenging and rewarding game that offers a rich and immersive experience.
Available on: PS4 / PS5 / XBOX ONE / XBOX X / XBOX S / PC
- 27th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards: Game of the Year / Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction / Outstanding Achievement in Game Design / Role-Playing Game of the Year / Outstanding Technical Achievement
- Dragon Awards: Best Science Fiction or Fantasy PC or Console Game
- The Game Awards: Most Anticipated Game (2020) / Most Anticipated Game (2021) / Game of the Year / Best Game Direction / Best Art Direction / Best Role Playing Game
- Gamescom: Best of Gamescom / Most Wanted / Best Song PlayStation Game / Best Action Adventure Game / Best Role Playing Game
- Golden Joystick Awards: Most Wanted Game (2021) / Ultimate Game of the Year / Best Visual Design / Best Multiplayer Game / Critics’ Choice Award
- Japan Game Awards: Grand Award / Award of Excellence
- New York Game Awards: Big Apple Award for Best Game of the Year / Statue of Liberty Award for Best World
- The Steam Awards: Game of the Year / Best Game You Suck At
- The Streamer Awards: Stream Game of the Year
BONUS: Marvel Snap
(because we here at LTN are obsessed)
Marvel Snap is everything you want from a mobile game. Easy to pick up and play, no ads, technically free, and even though it’s hard to put down, a game is usually 5 minutes or less. The fast-paced matches see two opponents play cards at the same time across three special locations. Most cards and locations have an ability, positive or negative, which ensures each game will feel fresh and challenging. Marvel Snap is still evolving and growing more marvelous, so it’s not too late to get in the game.
Available on: PC / MAC / ANDROID / iOS
- The Game Awards: Best Mobile Game
- New York Game Awards: A-Train Award for Best Mobile Game
- 27th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards: Mobile Game of the Year